All About Liposuction
Active, healthy men and women who want to rid themselves of exercise-resistant fat often choose to streamline their bodies through liposuction. As one of the most popular cosmetic procedures available, liposuction surgery can help patients with stubborn pockets of fat that exercise will not handle.
In South Florida, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jason Cooper performs liposuction for patients who come from nearby cities like Palm Beach Gardens for his exceptional level of skill and training in plastic surgery. Dr. Jason Cooper’s unique approach and level of care is unmatched by many surgeons. With each new patient, his goal is to provide the best liposuction South Florida has available.
Dr. Jason Cooper often combines liposuction with other surgical procedures to create a more natural appearance when it is not desired or necessary to remove skin and create an additional scar. Read below to find out more about liposuction and Dr. Jason Cooper
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, is also known as lipoplasty and body contouring surgery, slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion.
What Part of the Body Can Be Treated by Liposuction?
Liposuction techniques may be used to reduce localized fat deposits of the:
• Hips and buttocks
• Abdomen and waist
• Upper arms
• Love handles
• Breasts (including male breasts)
• Inner knee
• Chest area
• Cheeks, chin and neck
• Calves and ankles
Liposuction can be performed alone or along with other plastic surgery procedures, such as a facelift, breast reduction or a tummy tuck.
When to Consider Liposuction
• If you have localized areas of fat deposits that are disproportionate to the rest of your body.
• If you would like more definition or a sleeker contour in certain areas of your body.
• If you have good skin elasticity. (Liposuction removes fat but does not tighten the skin).
Benefits of Liposuction
• Safe removal of fat.
• Boost in self-esteem.
• Sculpting areas of the body that exercise and diet could not impact.
• Clothes will fit better, and body will appear slimmer.
• Can be done under sedations with fewer risks and shorter operating times than similar open body procedures.
• Uses smaller incisions, which result in smaller scars than open body contouring procedures.
Are You a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
For certain individuals, diet and exercise will never get rid of stubborn pockets of fat. You may be a good candidate for liposuction if:
• You have a minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity. Loss of skin elasticity with age can compromise liposuction results, but if your skin maintains elasticity, age alone is not a contraindication to liposuction surgery.
• You have localized deposits of fat in your abdomen, arms, thighs and/or neck, which may be the result of heredity and do not disappear with exercise and diet.
• You are physically fit, no more than 20 pounds overweight, and your weight is stable.
• You have a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring.
• You are a non-smoker.
• Are healthy and do not have a life-threatening illness or medical condition that can impair healing.
You May Not Be a Good Candidate for Liposuction if:
• You are planning to lose a significant amount of weight or even gain weight (for example, due to pregnancy).
• Keep in mind that liposuction does not remove cellulite and cannot tighten loose skin.
Your Liposuction Consultation
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jason Cooper will evaluate you as a candidate for liposuction and clarify what liposuction can do for you. During this visit, be prepared to discuss:
• Your surgical goals.
• Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments.
• Current medications, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use.
• Previous surgeries.
• Before and after photos of previous patients.
Dr. Jason Cooper will also:
• Evaluate your general health and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors.
• Discuss your liposuction options and or additional treatments.
• Recommend a course of treatment.
Be sure to ask questions. It’s important to understand all aspects of your liposuction procedure. It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress.
Liposuction Aftercare and Recovery
During your liposuction recovery, a compression garment or elastic bandages may cover treatment areas once your procedure is completed. These help control swelling and compress the skin to your new body contours.
Dr. Jason Cooper will discuss how long it will be before you can return to your normal level of activity and work. After surgery, you and your caregiver will receive detailed instructions about your postsurgical care, including information about:
• Drains, if they have been placed.
• Normal symptoms you will experience.
• Any potential signs of complications.
• When to follow up with the cosmetic surgeon.
Because the healing process is gradual; you should expect to wait several months to get an accurate picture of the results of your surgery. It may take several months for the swelling to dissipate fully. As it does, your new contours and enhanced self-image should continue to develop.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you would like to take the next step in achieving your cosmetic goals call High Point Plastic Surgery to schedule your consultation with Dr. Jason Cooper at (561) 406-6574 or request your consultation online.